POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Observatory : Re: Observatory Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:09:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Observatory
From: Alain
Date: 13 Mar 2009 21:18:51
Message: <49bb05fb$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Hough nous illumina en ce 2009-03-12 20:41 -->
> This is a scene I put together for the IRTC several years ago and was never
> really thrilled with how it looked. Been attempting to convert it to a mcpov
> scene off and on for several weeks, which has proven difficult with how many
> different textures and objects involved. This is the result of about 17
> hours rendering. While it looks quite a bit better than the original I am
> still not really happy with it. The biggest challenge has been getting the
> textures to look the same. The bottom of the smaller tower should be about
> the same color as the rest but as you can see it is quite a bit lighter.
>
> Mike

The lighter base of the small tower looks very convincing to me. In fact, it's
the base of the large tower that look to dark.

The lighting and the sky are more troubling.
If the sun is just raising behing you, it should be lower, same for the moon.
Also, the sky near the horizon, under the moon, should be much darker, the
bright part is behind you. With the sun "on" the horizon, it's light should have
a redish cast.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when you keep a blacklist of people who