POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Eva Sails Away (again) : Re: Eva Sails Away (again) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:16:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Eva Sails Away (again)
From: Arttu Voutilainen
Date: 11 Mar 2009 14:01:03
Message: <49b7fc5f$1@news.povray.org>
Kenneth wrote:
> I liked your original, and now it's looking even better!

Thanks!

> I was wondering about the main water waves: Since I can't really see what they
> look like on the 'other side' of the boat, I'd suggest ending the current water
> object AT the boat (as seen from the camera), then making a 'mirror image' of
> the wave object for the far side of the water. That way, the boat will appear
> to be cutting through the water, leaving angled wakes on BOTH sides of its bow.
>
> The other thing I might critique is that the water waves seem to be at too much
> of a right angle to the boat's direction.  Perhaps that's just the camera
> angle; but I think they should fanning out from the boat at maybe 45-degrees or
> less--in other words, the wave direction being a bit closer to parallel with the
> boat's hull (although NOT parallel, of course.)

Hmm, I never even thought about that ship leaving waves :P They are
supposed to be created by wind, even though I know it doesn't look like
that. It's just a wave-pattern with some turbulence, and the mid-point
being one hundred meters left from the boat.

Actually, judging by the pictures I found on teh web, a sailboat like
this probably wouldn't leave waves at all (or at least they would be
very small). I'll try to make the waves look more like they're supposed
to, and see how it works.

> Ken W.

-- Arttu "Blizzara" Voutilainen
-- http://blizzara.zbxt.net:8000/Plone/