POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Re: Moss Vine test [~30k] : Re: Moss Vine test [~30k] Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:21:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Moss Vine test [~30k]
From: [GDS|Entropy]
Date: 11 Mar 2009 00:51:37
Message: <49b74359$1@news.povray.org>
"Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> Triangles are not difficult... if you can write a climbing ivy macro I'm
> sure
> you'll have no trouble. The main pig is that you can't use the regular
> transforms on the individual triangles in a mesh, so you'll have to
> calculate
> your triangle vertices the old-fashioned way; make use of vrotate() and
> friends. After that, just treat a mesh as any other object. Don't worry
> about
> mesh2 yet!

O_o'

They seem tedious more than difficult....I hate tedium.

> You could take a look at Chambers' grass macro in the object collection,
> although that's just a single loop to create many blades in one mesh (I
> think -
> I just glanced over it).
>
> Start small and simple, maybe with only hand-built clump meshes at first,
> till
> you're comfortable with using triangles.

I'll take a look at that there, and given that those are blades of grass,
its probably not too far off from what I want to do with moss leaves anyway,
I'd just need to grab one blade.

>> It ended up taking 7min to parse with 90 vines and 15k moss object tests
>
> That's quite long, but I guess finding the vine routes will always be
> quite
> intensive. I once had a scene parse for over half an hour, so I wouldn't
> worry
> too much... you could always save the positions to a data file if there's
> lots
> of heavy calculation. :-)

Suprisingly, its not the vine routes that takes the time, its tracing the
moss onto the individual vine components.

I need to do something differently with that, but I'll figure it out. I have
a few ideas.

ian