POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : On the streets... : Re: On the streets... Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:26:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: On the streets...
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 9 Mar 2009 05:33:39
Message: <49b4e273$1@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> schreef in bericht
news:web.49b3f9fcdf6b06f2a745f7570@news.povray.org...
> As a matter of fact, your shot *is* problematic on poorly calibrated
> displays,
> or monitors calibrated for different viewing conditions (e.g. if someone
> calibrated his display for dim artificial illumination, they'll have
> trouble
> seeing your picture with bright daylight shining into their room).
>
> On my primary display and under my standard viewing conditions, The shot
> turns
> out fine, e.g. I can make out the structure of the buildings and such
> (which
> supports your claim, as I am quite sure that the display is rather well
> calibrated, too); on my secondary display, however, I cannot. (So far it
> has
> defeated any attempts to calibrate it properly, so I make the best of it
> and
> use it to assess how my shots look like to viewers who don't bother about
> calibration.)
>
> Just in case this shot should happen to be a WIP for some kind of
> competition
> (*wink*), you might want to take such issues into account. It *may* be
> better
> to have the shot a bit too bright than a bit too dark.

No, This is not intended for the competition you are thinking of :-) It is
an independant work. I feel that it is not entirely covered by the topic and
I like to work in different directions at the same time.

I am aware indeed of the problems with displays you refer to above, however,
for this particular night scene (and night scenes are always difficult) I
strongly feel against brightening it up as that would destroy the overall
ambience I am trying to show.That is why I opted for more restricted
spotlights instead of the global lights you would expect in regular street
lamps. The effect was certainly more correct, but it did not really suit my
concept of the scene.

Thomas