POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The really annoying thing about Vista's UAC... : Re: The really annoying thing about Vista's UAC... Server Time
29 Sep 2024 23:24:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The really annoying thing about Vista's UAC...
From: Darren New
Date: 8 Mar 2009 16:30:19
Message: <49b42adb$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> Well, see, I never get them. ;-)  Come to think, I didn't get them while
> updating the Vista OS on this box, but that's because I turned them off.

I did too, while I was installing stuff. Then I turned it back on.

Come to think of it, I have to wonder how much of the griping about "too
many UAC prompts" comes from vocal reporters whose job it is to do stuff
like install and remove software and then write about it publicly.

The traditional "read email/surf web/write documents/balance checkbook"
grandmothers that the Linux folks generally use as "typical home desktop
user model" are unlikely to ever run across a UAC on Windows, except maybe
during a software upgrade.

> That's kinda like the ActiveX control that gets installed in FF to allow
> software to be installed without the prompts.  Though it sounds like
> there's more to it than that.

I never heard of such an ActiveX, so I can't comment.

> There's a reason I also don't do automatic updates on Linux as well.  I
> like to know what's being done to my system.

Me too. :-)  But you have to admit, there are groups of people who trust the
Linux distributors (or Microsoft or Apple) more than they trust their own
ability to make such decisions.

> I think we both do that, and that we both do it causes the confusion and
> violent agreements. ;-)

Heh. I'll keep an eye out.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)