POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The really annoying thing about Vista's UAC... : Re: The really annoying thing about Vista's UAC... Server Time
29 Sep 2024 23:23:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The really annoying thing about Vista's UAC...
From: Darren New
Date: 8 Mar 2009 01:07:48
Message: <49b360b4$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> In general, I think the idea of UAC as the "fix" is the problem.

I dunno. From what I know of it, it seems like a reasonable fix. I see Mac
fans saying they never have to type in their password, and Windows users
saying they have to answer UAC prompts several dozen times a day, and I'm
thinking "WTF?"  What in the world are Windows users doing that make them
have to answer UAC prompts dozens of times a day, when I do it maybe once a
week when making offsite backups?

> Granted, it's really a first attempt at fixing the problem, but still -
> MS is supposed to be hiring some of the smartest people out there.  I
> know some of them (not who work on the core OS, but on other parts of
> their product offerings) certainly are.

Yeah.

Actually, I was thinking that UAC might not be quite enough. Now every
program that needs to upgrade itself (like firefox, for example, or a virus
scanner, or whatever) needs a privileged service running just so it can
write over files without prompting for a password. I can't think how you'd
fix that, except perhaps letting a program get overwritten by a new version
that is signed by the same public key.

On the other hand, UNIX and OSX seem to get along OK without it. Linux needs
the password to do updates, unless it's using a background process of
course, so that's kind of the same except that almost all your updates come
from the same place. I don't know what OSX does in this regard.

> We do have a habit of that, don't we? ;-)

Seems like it.  It seems I sometimes make comments that are only
tangentially related to the stuff I'm quoting, which confuses people sometimes.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)