POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The really annoying thing about Vista's UAC... : Re: The really annoying thing about Vista's UAC... Server Time
30 Sep 2024 01:14:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The really annoying thing about Vista's UAC...
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 7 Mar 2009 13:30:53
Message: <49b2bd5d@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 21:03:57 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> Sure. I was just pointing out that *you* could do better in *your*
>>> programs.
>>
>> Just because others don't do a good job is no excuse for MS doing a
>> poor job.
>

> I quote myself: "Explorer is dumb here."
>
> In what way is that saying MS didn't do a poor job?

It isn't.  But to say that the implementation of UAC is a good way to
solve the problem is inaccurate; the team working on UAC and the team
working on Explorer need to come to terms with the best way for the user.

I'm not saying that this will be *easy* to do - heck, I work in a
software company that has problems like this itself - for example,
SLES10SP2 breaks Open Enterprise Server (which runs on SLES10SP1).  It's
a point of frustration for me when I see groups inside a company not
talking to each other, and the user base accepting that "well, this is
the way it is" instead of demanding something be done about it.

IOW, explorer being dumb here isn't the issue.  It's that UAC "fixes" it
by also being dumb that is.  Two dumbs don't make a smart.

Jim