POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Excuseme... Have you met Dr. Rhawn Joseph, Ph.D ? : Re: Excuseme... Have you met Dr. Rhawn Joseph, Ph.D ? Server Time
30 Sep 2024 01:18:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Excuseme... Have you met Dr. Rhawn Joseph, Ph.D ?
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Mar 2009 11:41:56
Message: <49b15254@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> after relativity and quantum mechanics basically showed that almost
> everything we thought we know is inaccurate.

I think it's probably also the case that at the time, there was little
evidence that scientists were wrong in this respect. There were very few
measurements that were different than theory predicted to the limit of
accuracy of the instruments, relatively few "unexplained" observations, and
so on. Nobody had seen the cosmic background radiation, nobody had seen
enough quantum effects to realize what they were, nobody had measured the
orbit of Mercury accurately enough to realize it was "wrong", and so on.

I suspect that had instruments started getting more accurate, the failure of
reality to line up with theory would have triggered more explorations of new
theories, just like photoelectric phenomena did.

>   New plausible theories are not immediately shut down and ridiculed.

Yeah. The difference is, new theories not only have to explain *some* of the
results, they have to explain *all* of the experimental results, and
hopefully *also* explain something the current theories don't. And as
physics and other sciences get more and more complete, it gets harder and
harder to come up with a new theory that still agrees with the old theory
except in the places we haven't looked.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)