POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Excuseme... Have you met Dr. Rhawn Joseph, Ph.D ? : Re: Excuseme... Have you met Dr. Rhawn Joseph, Ph.D ? Server Time
30 Sep 2024 01:14:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Excuseme... Have you met Dr. Rhawn Joseph, Ph.D ?
From: Invisible
Date: 6 Mar 2009 08:10:27
Message: <49b120c3$1@news.povray.org>
>> Well... there *have* been scientific theories which were considered
>> ridiculous for a long time, which eventually turned out to be correct.
>
>   I think this happened mostly at the latter half of the 1800's and very
> early in the 1900's.
>
>   While arrogant people will always exist, I think the scientific community
> as a whole has learned its lesson and got mostly over this kind of mentality
> after relativity and quantum mechanics basically showed that almost
> everything we thought we know is inaccurate.

There wre still lively debates about, e.g., whether H. floresiensis is a
"real" new species or a small group of diseased H. sapiens specimins.
Some claim that this absolutely is a brand new species, for a whole long
list of reasons. And others simply laugh at the idea and claim it's pure
moonshine. But...

>   New plausible theories are not immediately shut down and ridiculed.

...I think this is the bottom line. There is a contraversy here, rather
than a "X is false, end of discussion".