POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The really annoying thing about Vista's UAC... : Re: The really annoying thing about Vista's UAC... Server Time
29 Sep 2024 17:20:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The really annoying thing about Vista's UAC...
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Mar 2009 11:51:49
Message: <49b00325@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> ...is that it tells me it's going to ask my permission for something
> before it asks my permission.

But this is part of the security bit. If it doesn't tell you it's going to
ask permission first, then you can't tell someone "only say it's OK if it
already asked you and you agree with what it's asking."

Like, I taught my computer-naive relatives to not say "yes" unless they had
just clicked on an icon with a shield on it. Otherwise, J Random Virus will
come up and ask for permission, and you won't know what to answer. The only
time the Windows stuff asks for permission twice is when it doesn't know
that (for example) it's unable to delete the file you asked it to delete
before it tries to delete it.

It's not perfect, but it's darn close. And apparently the API for it is much
more capable than most people (including MS) take advantage of. It doesn't
*have* to prompt every time - it just doesn't bother to cache the results.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)