POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Makehuman 1.0.0 is here! : Re: Makehuman 1.0.0 is here! Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:22:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Makehuman 1.0.0 is here!
From: Chris B
Date: 4 Mar 2009 06:11:10
Message: <49ae61ce$1@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote in message
news:49ae4e0c$1@news.povray.org...

> "Chris B" <nom### [at] nomailcom> schreef in bericht
>>
>> "Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Chris B" <nom### [at] nomailcom> schreef in bericht

>>> If that could also work with Poser figures exported to POV, that would
>>> be very interesting. My guess is that it should work.
>>>

>> I think you'd get a problem with figures exported from Poser, because I
>> think you just get a mesh object. So working out where the various
>> relevant bits are positioned and how they are oriented, so that you can
>> use a POV-Ray macro to grow hair out of particular parts of the mesh, is
>> probably very tricky.
>>

> What if you already have the (dynamic) hairs from Poser available, and
> exported as lines by Poseray? Would that help?

I'm not sure. I've never used that.

The macro just needs a couple of objects and a couple of vectors to tell it
how the object is positioned and oriented. The main object is a shell that
it can trim to shape to form the hairline object. This can actually just be
a slice of the main object or just the difference between two spheres to
give a shell that fairly closely maps to the skull. It uses trace to
randomly find hair starting positions on this object. The other object is
the real anatomy object that it uses to trace the hairs down over. It
follows some simple rules to respond to gravity, curl and stuff, then it
uses trace to make sure it doesn't penetrate the surface of the anatomy
object.

It's the same basic hair macro that I used to generate a couple of
animations back in 2006.
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.animations/thread/%3C457d2bfb@news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=261005&toff=50

Regards,
Chris B.