POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oh, dear.. SPLINES! : Oh, dear.. SPLINES! Server Time
29 Sep 2024 17:19:16 EDT (-0400)
  Oh, dear.. SPLINES!
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 24 Feb 2009 11:13:40
Message: <49a41cb4$1@news.povray.org>
For once in my life it looks like I properly interpreted something in
Wikipedia and actually wrote the code to implement the psuedo-code on
their page.

Not only that, but based on what the psuedocode was saying, I properly
surmised how to interpolate the resulting spline functions for each
interval.

Well, of course a spline is easy. Right?

I just wish I knew a bit more of the underlying theory of how the
coefficients were calculated.

The article speaks of derivatives, so calculus must be involved. I'm
gathering that the formulae in the algorithm were probably found by
applying calculus to a 3rd order polynomial.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubic_spline

--
~Mike