POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The most dangerous species of all : Re: The most dangerous species of all Server Time
29 Sep 2024 23:24:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The most dangerous species of all
From: andrel
Date: 1 May 2009 17:20:15
Message: <49FB678F.4000608@hotmail.com>
On 1-5-2009 22:51, Warp wrote:
> andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> I am an atheist who is firmly
>> rooted in the stewardship school and you're attitude frankly gives me
>> the creeps.
>
>   Well, someone could have a philosophy like: "I'm only an individual,
> I cannot affect the grand scale of things. I'm poor and I don't have
> children, there's nothing I can leave them as inheritance, not even a
> better world, both because I don't have children and because I can't make
> the world better. The world will follow its course regardless of what
> I do, so stressing about the world being destroyed would be useless,
> even if this destruction happened in my lifetime, much more useless if
> it happens hundreds of years after I'm dead."

That could be the case if he had said 'If *I* don't exist...' but he
said 'If you don't exist...' meaning either Chambers or any human
person. So that won't work.

>   I personally wouldn't say I absolutely abhor that type of thinking in
> my case.

I'd say that this kind of reasoning is untypical for law abiding, god
fearing poor people. I would more associate this with rich people and
desperados. But it is a reasonable position.

>   (I wonder which school of philosophy this most closely conforms to.
> Maybe nihilism?)

Something in me want to suggest neo-capitalism but that might result in
a flamewar, so I won't. ;)