POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The most dangerous species of all : Re: The most dangerous species of all Server Time
29 Sep 2024 21:22:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The most dangerous species of all
From: andrel
Date: 1 May 2009 17:06:02
Message: <49FB643A.1090303@hotmail.com>
On 1-5-2009 22:07, Mueen Nawaz wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>>>     The problem with the word rational is that it's typically used with
>>> assumptions that are not commonly shared.
>>>
>> Rational implies that 'ratio' i.e. reasoning was applied. As such the
>> use of irrational when applied to the position of another person in a
>> discussion is a bit like suggesting that that person did not think
>> everything through. Which is of course not a fruitful position to take
>> in a discussion. Used like this it probably needs an identifier, yes.
>>
>> In this case I don't think that is what somebody was meaning. I think he
>> meant that it is a way of thinking that is completely alien to him. As
>> long as he is aware that other positions are possible and that his POV
>> is just as alien to others there is no problem. When he thinks that his
>> position is the only one that is logical and well though through there
>> would be a problem. At least in the sense that he would not be high on
>> my list of people to meet IRL. Then again somebody probably very much
>> likes his privacy anyway.
>
> 	Yes, but now you're making assumptions on why (either of the two)
> declared something as irrational.

Merely pointing out that he is using the word irrational when he means
(fundamentally) ununderstandable. Which is not the meaning you or I
would attribute to it, but not really uncommon either. Perhaps he is not
really aware of the original meaning of the latin word 'ratio' and its
history. But then I am speculating again.
To support that: if you ask wikipedia you'll only find fraction as the
meaning. With a link to a philosophical meaning of 'reason' in the
disambiguation part, suggesting that 'ratio' may not be used by the
common English speaking man with a meaning of 'reason'. I don't know,
English is not my first language and ratio does have this meaning in Dutch.
So, perhaps 'irrational' is not always used as an ad hominem, depending
on the cultural background. Other than that I agree with what you said.
But you knew that already ;)