POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Excuseme... Have you met Dr. Rhawn Joseph, Ph.D ? : Re: Excuseme... Have you met Dr. Rhawn Joseph, Ph.D ? Server Time
29 Sep 2024 23:27:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Excuseme... Have you met Dr. Rhawn Joseph, Ph.D ?
From: andrel
Date: 8 Mar 2009 18:26:29
Message: <49B44613.3020408@hotmail.com>
On 8-3-2009 21:20, Darren New wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>> I know a couple of these situations. It really happens more than one
>> would hope. Often the background is that someone influential has
>> invested a lot of time in a theory and that now much of his lab
>> depends on grands to look into it. Such a person will sometimes do
>> her/his utmost to prevent other theories and counter data to get
>> published.
>
> It saddens me to realize I believe that people would do this
> maliciously, rather than just being stubborn or close-minded. Sigh.

Of course you can not prove that, but there are a few cases that I am
pretty sure that is what happens. And that is only in those areas that
are closely related to my work.

BTW once I was contemplating changing my field from cardiology to
foundations of computer science (not so much a step as it seems). My
main interests were (and are) however in things that could be improved
in Dijkstra's work (I think it may be known in this group that I am a
fan of his work ;) ). The message of people knowledgeable in that field
was simple: Don't do it, you won't get any papers published when you
disagree with Dijkstra.