POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Excuseme... Have you met Dr. Rhawn Joseph, Ph.D ? : Re: Excuseme... Have you met Dr. Rhawn Joseph, Ph.D ? Server Time
29 Sep 2024 23:23:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Excuseme... Have you met Dr. Rhawn Joseph, Ph.D ?
From: andrel
Date: 8 Mar 2009 15:55:17
Message: <49B4229E.7010005@hotmail.com>
On 8-3-2009 18:19, Darren New wrote:
> Mueen Nawaz wrote:
>>     For a while, the paper was rejected purely because it didn't account
>> for B. The referees wanted to know how his theory ties in with B (it
>> doesn't - he was pointing out the results could be explained without
>> resorting to B altogether).
>
> Well, that would seem to be the answer, then. :-) I guess scientists can
> be somewhat blind like everyone else. What he needed to answer was "this
> is how I account for the measurements that seem to imply B is
> necessary."  If it wasn't clear enough, then he needed to clarify and
> resubmit, I guess. Sounds like the system worked to me.

I know a couple of these situations. It really happens more than one
would hope. Often the background is that someone influential has
invested a lot of time in a theory and that now much of his lab depends
on grands to look into it. Such a person will sometimes do her/his
utmost to prevent other theories and counter data to get published.
Eventually the other measurements and theories almost always do get
published but there may be a delay of several years and they won't get
into influenced journals at first. Both are a threat to the financial
situation of the group.

Something similar is happening with the work of my PhD student. His work
is in modelling the effect of high frequency interference on
electronics. Here we have the problem that most people in the field are
measuring interference, we are modelling it. Now for the second time an
editor has to make a decision to overrule a reviewer that insists that
we measure up to at least 1 GHz, because that is what is specified in
the measurement regulations. We on the other hand have only measured up
to 100 MHz because that was enough to show that the measurements matched
our equations. (Technically we can not measure higher without special
equipment and even then those measurements would be subject to doubt
anyway). Some people are not able to distance themselves from their
daily routine and really try to understand what somebody else is
writing. It delays the process a lot and it is not nice to have to put
pressure on the editors to force a decision.