POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Excuseme... Have you met Dr. Rhawn Joseph, Ph.D ? : Re: Excuseme... Have you met Dr. Rhawn Joseph, Ph.D ? Server Time
30 Sep 2024 01:14:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Excuseme... Have you met Dr. Rhawn Joseph, Ph.D ?
From: andrel
Date: 6 Mar 2009 16:01:19
Message: <49B18F0E.1060201@hotmail.com>
On 6-3-2009 10:24, Saul Luizaga wrote:
> I'd appreciate links if you have them.

what about simply: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_life

This in contrast to Josephs' "magical thinking of modern day scientists"
and "Most modern scientists reject God and in stead embrace a theology
of miracles. Preaching that life came from non-life. From lightning
bolts striking a random mixture of chemicals in a super natural organic
soup. An idea so absurd and laden with magical thinking it is equivalent
with discovering a computer on mars and claiming that it was randomly
assembled in the m[?] sea. The theory of organic soup is a silly
childish myth, only life can give rise to life, only DNA can give rise
to DNA, the machinery of life."

There is of course the ridiculing of all other less intelligent people
that is a sure sign that what follows is a strawman argument. And
indeed, I don't think you can find a modern scientists that thinks that
life originated from lighning bolts in a mixture of chemicals. That
refers to the famous http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller_experiment that
resulted in organic molecules, most importantly aminoacids. Note however
that they are merely building blocks used by life but Miller, nor
anybody else would claim that it *is* life. In fact nobody knows how
that came about. So, claiming that you know what "most modern
scientists" think happened is plain silly and uninformed. We also know
that many organic molecules form in outer space, a fact that is
apparently not relevant at this point, though no doubt somewhere in the
video that will be mentioned.
I have not a clue what the computer is doing in the next sentence so I
won't comment.
Then there is the claim that "only life can give rise to life" which
either implies that life has been there since whenever the universe
begun or that there is none now. I don't believe either of these
positions, so I believe this is factually an incorrect statement.
Followed by "only DNA can give rise to DNA", which is for the same
reason nonsense. Besides in order to make DNA you need to have RNA as
well. Moreover there is life that does not contain DNA but only RNA. In
fact as you will see in wiki, there are quite a lot of people that think
it is likely that before DNA we had purely RNA based life and before
that we might have even had other reproducing systems. Oh and note also
that we also know that there is more to genetics than merely DNA and RNA.
In short, I don't like his attitude. I know that he is factually wrong
on almost everything in the first few minutes of this video. (As if he
has read a few pieces in the general papers and stopped reading anything
after the 80's.) It also makes me sad that somebody spends so much of
his time in spreading his own misformed view of science and his personal
pet-theories.
There may be some more factually correct statements after 2:45, but it
is not likely that I will find out.