POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dubious advertising : Re: Dubious advertising Server Time
30 Sep 2024 03:16:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dubious advertising
From: scott
Date: 11 Feb 2009 08:36:01
Message: <4992d441$1@news.povray.org>
>  I have always found the magical (and completely artificial) 18-years
> barrier incomprehensible.
>
>  People are more worried about a 16-years old going to war than a
> 18-years old. Why? What exactly is it in 18 that is so much different
> from 16? Why is *exactly* 18 so special?

Because it is the best compromise between having to interview millions of
young kids not suitable for war, and missing lots of good people by setting
an age limit like 25 years.  It just makes their job simpler, same way as
big companies might throw your CV in the bin on very simple criteria even
though you may have been the best person for the job - they just don't have
enough resources to go through every candidate individually.