POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dubious advertising : Re: Dubious advertising Server Time
30 Sep 2024 03:19:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dubious advertising
From: Warp
Date: 8 Feb 2009 04:36:12
Message: <498ea78b@news.povray.org>
> I don't suppose anybody remembers this, but when the whole war in Iraq
> thing started up, the UK press made this big deal out of this 16 year
> old girl being sent to Iraq. Everybody was all like "OMG! She's only 16!
> I don't think they should make her go." And they had an interview with
> her mother who was all like "oh, she's my only daughter, this is a
> terrible thing to have to happen to her, and I'm really worried about
> what will become of her".

  I have always found the magical (and completely artificial) 18-years
barrier incomprehensible.

  People are more worried about a 16-years old going to war than a
18-years old. Why? What exactly is it in 18 that is so much different
from 16? Why is *exactly* 18 so special?

  There's nothing special about 18 years of age. There are 15-years old
people who are more knowledgeable, intelligent, rational (in other words,
are mentally mature) and have more life experience than many 25-years
old people. There are many things where that 15yo person would be a lot
more capable and responsible than those 25yo persons would be.

  Of course *usually* a 25yo is more responsible and capable than a 15yo,
sure. However, there is no "18 years mark", which would suddenly make
a person who is not capable of making rational decisions about himself
and others into a person who is. The 18 years mark is completely artificial.

  Reaching full mental maturity happens slowly, and the age at which we can
say that a person has reached it changes from person to person. Some people
become mature at 15, others at 25.

  One could argue that "most people are mature by 18". This might be true,
but it doesn't say anything about how much earlier some, or even most,
people might become mature.

  The concept of the "age of maturity" even varies from country to country,
and from culture to culture. Another "magical" age of maturity is 21 in
many countries (I really don't know where that age has come from). For
example in many western countries 21 is a limit for entrance at certain
places. I don't know if "21 years of age" is in actual law anywhere.

  So if people get worried about a 16yo, why aren't they equally worried
about a 18yo? If a 18yo is not "mature enough" to enter certain
establishments, is he mature enough to go to war?

--
                                                          - Warp