POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tiffany Lamp (WIP snapshot) : Re: Tiffany Lamp (WIP snapshot) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:16:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tiffany Lamp (WIP snapshot)
From: Severi Salminen
Date: 4 Feb 2009 15:37:57
Message: <4989fca5@news.povray.org>
St. wrote:

>     So what you're really saying is adjust my monitor to 2.2 and then add it
> to assumed_gamma 2.2 in my scene and then adjust my scene using correct
> ambients until it looks right. But I kind of do that anyway, apart from my
> assumed_gamma is .75. I thought the idea was to play around in SDL to get
> something good out of it? ;)

No! (Read below :)

>     It's confusing, that's for sure. I mean, you must be seeing the same as
> me, right? I'm sure I would have had more comments about 'washed out', or
> 'too dark' by now if you weren't.  :)

Do this (you seem to use Windows):

1. Open your Display settings and set monitor gamma to default value
(usually 1.0 means no correction. Choose that.). Ask me if you can't
find the settings.

2. Open this:

http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html#gammachart

Look at the chart on the right side. Take a few steps away from your
monitor and look it again. You should try to figure out the point where
the smooth gradient looks as dark as the striped pattern. You can read
your current actual display gamma. (Look at the example on the left side
for what to look for.)

3. If the actual display gamma is not 2.2 or close to it you have to
adjust the setting you found on step 1. Move it to one way or another
and you'll see that the actual gamma of your display changes. Find the
setting where the resulting gamma is 2.2.

4. Congratulate yourself! Now you just calibrated your monitor to show
decent values. Remember that this is not as precise as using calibrator
but gives you decent settings. Also, you have to set brightness and
contrast to proper values. Set contrast at maximum and use the "BLACK
LEVEL" chart on the rightmost side to set brightness.

5. Congratulate again!

6. Set the damn assumed gamma value to 1.0!!!

7. Adjust your scene to get good looks.

8. Yes, your image looks washed out on my screen. I think it would look
even more washed out if you had used assumed gamma 0.5 or 0.25.

Severi