POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tiffany Lamp (WIP snapshot) : Re: Tiffany Lamp (WIP snapshot) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:13:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tiffany Lamp (WIP snapshot)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 4 Feb 2009 03:58:55
Message: <498958cf$1@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> schreef in bericht
news:web.4988eb2dfd1133915c2186730@news.povray.org...
> "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
>>     So what you're really saying is adjust my monitor to 2.2 and then add
>> it
>> to assumed_gamma 2.2 in my scene
>
> Noooooo! Stooooooop! (*grabs & pulls away keyboard*)
>
> Phew, that was close...

It was indeed  :-)

> No, *please* don't set "assumed_gamma" to 2.2... I have the theory that it
> should be set to 1.0 actually; Set "Display_Gamma" to 2.2 instead, and see
> what
> it does. Check with that "Gamma Test Scene" I posted.

Exactly! assumed_gamma 1.0; display_gamma to whatever value is correct for
your machine.

> And I wish people would leave that freakin' ambient alone, and use
> *proper*
> lighting, like radiosity and HDR light maps and stuff like that... no
> surprise
> people keep fighting with material settings...

My experience is that, with translucent surfaces used as lamp shades, a bit
of ambient on the texture finish is working just fine. In all other cases
ambient should be 0.

I know you disagree on the translucency bit, but it works, even if it is not
orthodox usage  :-)

Thomas