POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Virtual Linux : Re: Virtual Linux Server Time
29 Sep 2024 21:25:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Virtual Linux
From: Invisible
Date: 3 Feb 2009 11:36:40
Message: <49887298@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   A minimalist linux distro (without fancy graphical user interfaces, etc)
> can be made so small that you can put it into a bootable floppy, and boot
> from it.

Actually, I possess such a thing. ;-)

Obviously, it's a single-purpose tool though. It's never going to
replace a normal Linux distro.

I was just wondering if anybody has ever build a distro taylored to
removing all the parts that aren't necessary for running in a virtual
machine (e.g., support for various hardware that a VM won't have).

I guess the ultimate would probably be to design a special VM and a
special OS to run inside it... but by that point you've probably lost
the advantages of having a VM.