POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tiffany Lamp (WIP snapshot) : Re: Tiffany Lamp (WIP snapshot) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:15:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tiffany Lamp (WIP snapshot)
From: St
Date: 1 Feb 2009 03:49:56
Message: <49856234$2@news.povray.org>
"Alain" <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote in message
> St. nous illumina en ce 2009-01-31 07:13 -->

> Have you tryed using photons and some micro normals for the shade?

  Photons is there in my code Alain, but it's commented out. ;) I did try it
but the first couple of lines took a while iirc.

   As for the normals, I've got this:

   normal{ bumps .5 scale .0001}

  enabled on the glass, but it's not actually showing now when it should be
like in that other image. Hmm, I wonder why that is?

Or some
> averaged normals? If you use averaged normals, don't use to many, try with
> 5 and don't go over 10 to 12. That way, a point light shadow will receive
> light from the glass parts. There will also be some colour bleeding from
> area to area.

Ok, this sounds good, but I've never used average normals, so how would I do
that?

> Tifany lamps, if I remembre correctly, only rarely use realy transparent
> glass, but more cloudy and translucent ones. And, often, the transparent
> glass was far from flat and uniform.

     Yes, I know what you mean, I think I've got the translucency ok now, so
I'll try to warp the glass panels a little. Should look good I think.

> When averaging normals with reflections, 10 averaged normals give 10
> samples.
> When averaging normals with transparency, the first surface generate 10
> samples, and each one of those, when encoutering the second surface,
> generate 10 more. This result in 100 total samples per pixel.

    Is this a slow process? It does sound good.

> Do you know that Mr. Tyfany was a precurson in recycling? He started
> making his lamps to recuperate the breaked glass he all to often got in
> his glass deliveries. He also reused the bits left over after making
> stained glass for churches.

    Do you know what? It all makes sense now. I never got the link to the
recycling part. <Ding!/lightbulb> Heh...

      ~Steve~