POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Re: grass and rocks (168kb jpg) : Re: grass and rocks (168kb jpg) Server Time
30 Sep 2024 03:22:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: grass and rocks (168kb jpg)
From: Darren New
Date: 30 Jan 2009 18:12:15
Message: <4983894f$1@news.povray.org>
alphaQuad wrote:
> Without going into detail, my understanding is that homeopathy has empirical
> (observed, experiential, pragmatic) impact on the body.

So do sugar pills. :-)

This guy, "Gary Null", seems to think there are a lot of "meta-studies"
showing it works.
http://www.garynull.com/documents/articlesfromorgs/homeopathy_scientific_research.htm
I think it's likely that in the cases where it works, it's due to placebo
effect or (most likely) selective reporting.

To be fair, there was one actual scientist who actually tried a homeopathic
remedy on ameobas or something, and had it have statistically-significant
effects, and asked for someone else to try to replicate it. Since I've been
hearing this for years and never heard of any follow-up, I assume nobody
could replicate it. (Maybe it's the one referenced in the "In Vitro Studies"
I'm thinking of, in the next link below.)

Some interesting history:
http://www.colorado.edu/philosophy/vstenger/Medicine/Homeop.html

Hmmm. Apparently there has been a fair amount of positive results on the
research, tho. It's still rather strange tho. Smaller doses give better

Then you read stuff like this
http://purehealthsystems.com/homeopathic-science.html
and he talks about "messages" being transfered as "signatures" from actual
medicine into distilled water.  I.e., the very contact of the drug with
water means all the water in the jar takes on the attributes of the drug.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"