POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Woo, GPU! : Re: Woo, mass breakage Server Time
30 Sep 2024 07:24:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Woo, mass breakage
From: Invisible
Date: 30 Jan 2009 04:41:32
Message: <4982cb4c$1@news.povray.org>
OK, so last night I embarked on an epic HD moving process.

Suffice it to say, I removed the 80GB HD that I don't really use much. I
took the two remaining HDs and moved them to the bottom of the drive
rack. There is now space for the giant graphics card to slot into the PC
without purchasing a larger case.

It sounds like a trivial operation, but it wasn't. I only just have
enough power connectors, and various cables weren't really long enough, etc.

There is one small problem: the drive I removed was the one with the
working boot sector on it. I did try plugging the drives into the other
SATA sockets, but the Windows XP install CD apparently lacks the drivers
necessary to access the secondary SATA controller, so it couldn't "find"
the drives in that configuration. (KNOPPIX found them just fine, but not
Windows XP.)

Actually, it turns out the new graphics card will only block *two* of
the primary SATA sockets, so I can in fact still plug my drives in in
the usual way. I have now done this, and Windows XP can "see" them again.

Now *all* I have to do is figure out how to put NTLDR and friends back
onto the drive using the recovery console and my PC will be usable
again... o_O