POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Woo, GPU! : Re: The big picture Server Time
30 Sep 2024 05:19:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The big picture
From: Invisible
Date: 29 Jan 2009 05:07:00
Message: <49817fc4$1@news.povray.org>
>> I don't know about adverts, but I'm wondering how loud that fan is going
>> to be... ;-)
>
> The larger the fan, the slower it needs to spin to move the same volume
> of air.

Yes, but OTOH... if they fitted a fan this huge in the first place, this
suggests it's going to need it. ;-)

I mean, Jesus, the card is 2 bays wide just so it can accomodate enough
heatsinks and fans. It has a TDP of 182W!! o_O

> Most of the time, it should be quiet enough.  Unless you're playing a
> game, doing some heavy Photoshop stuff, running Vista with Aero, looking
> at it wrong, et cetera.  You get the idea :)

Really? Interesting. The fan on my existing card (nVidia GeForce 7900GT)
spins at constant speed.

(As does the CPU fan. But that probably just means you need a special
driver to throttle it...)