POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Hall of fame proposals : Re: Hall of fame proposals Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:19:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hall of fame proposals
From: St
Date: 25 Jan 2009 02:30:56
Message: <497c1530$1@news.povray.org>
"Nicolas Alvarez" <nic### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
> St. wrote:
>> "Nicolas Alvarez" <nic### [at] gmailcom> wrote
>>>
>>> Well, I'd say the less the author had to rely on *other tools* the more
>>> appropriate for POV-Ray HOF...
>>
>>    Yes, but times have moved on now...
>>
>>     Perhaps the thing to do is split it.
>>
>>     o- PoV only HOF. (Total CSG and render).
>>
>>     o- PoV/other/HOF. (Use of other tool and render).
>
> I didn't say other tools shouldn't be used at all. But somebody who
> created
> a texture in a graphic program, a mesh in a 3D modeller, and put the model
> with the texture as an image_map in a povray scene, doesn't seem worth
> putting in povray HOF, even if with only those two elements the image
> looks
> awesome.

     The problem is that a lot of users (like myself) are limited to what
they can do with POV. Sure, I can probably create a neat scene in pure SDL
with the use of primitives and/or others, but I sure couldn't complete a
great landscape scene with all the 'needed' objects that go with it. Some
can do that, and some simply cannot. So I think there has to be some degree
of fairness across the board when it comes to the HOF and should really
focus on the 'end goal' - the final render.

   I think the HOF is very important, and if it was me, I would have all of
those proposals added, and more.

    ~Steve~