POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : International English : Re: International English Server Time
29 Sep 2024 23:24:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: International English
From: Darren New
Date: 18 Jan 2009 14:38:19
Message: <4973852b$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> No, they might be qualified to judge errors in the usage of standard
> English, but they are not qualified to apply the same rules to
> international English.

I see what you mean. I misinterpreted what you were trying to say.

> It doesn't mean anything in Dutch and my point is that it is not a
> mistake. People tend to think it is a mistake, but they are wrong. The
> only objection you could have is that there is another language where it
> does have a different meaning and that people who know that will be too
> occupied by that to listen to what you have to say.

And that would be the mistake I'm referring to. A case of poor communication
for no reason other than the mistake of not knowing the slang you wouldn't
be expected to know anyway. Which is why I wouldn't be embarrassed by it.

> I wouldn't refer to Star Wars in a talk at a conference.

Not as anything more than a joke, no.

> The context we were discussion was indeed Biomedical conferences ans such.

Yep. I was agreeing. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?