POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : International English : International English Server Time
29 Sep 2024 23:26:23 EDT (-0400)
  International English
From: andrel
Date: 17 Jan 2009 05:09:30
Message: <4971AEC1.10109@hotmail.com>
I recently had a discussion with my daughter. She studies English and it
was about English as lingua franca. I said that if on a conference the
language is 'English' that means that an international dialect is
spoken, not any official version of it.
That leads to at least two points where we slightly disagreed then,
(perhaps we are more in agreement here now)
- Also native speakers have learn to speak it. I have heard talks that
were almost incomprehensible because the speaker liberally used the
expressions and sport metaphors he also used at the dinner table.
- If a way of expression is commonly used that is not correct from a
linguistic point of view, you don't have to start a campaign to correct
that error. On the contrary, if you think it is wrong you are the one
that is wrong. Perhaps not a good example but one that I remember: a
Dutch politician talked about 'golden showers' to express how expensive
the bathrooms in a new European headquarters were. Some people ridiculed
him saying: what a fool he is for not knowing that golden showers mean
something else (if you don't know what, stay ignorant). My POV: what a
fool that commentator is for not knowing that in international English
that expression does not exist, he is confusing 'international English'
with 'standard English'.

I think that the main points where international English differs from
standard English are:
- there is no literature and no history. You can e.g. not refer to
Shakespeare as a common background.
- slang does not exist in international English. If every expression
that has a different meaning somewhere in the English spoken world id
forbideed, there is not much to say anymore.
- Never use words expressions that force people to use a dictionary. I
should probably have not used 'lingua franca' above and the use of
'liberally' was also questionable.
- Jargon, smileys, and common abbreviations are allowed in international
communication. ASAP and IMHO are recognized by all. OTOH one should not
use 'on the gripping hand'.
- It is not just dumbing down, I think that sentences can be longer in
international English. Especially if the speaker/writer is German, Dutch
or from any other nation that allows full page sentences.

Any opinions?