POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : First MC-POV effort : Re: First MC-POV effort Server Time
1 Aug 2024 02:16:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: First MC-POV effort
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 15 Jan 2009 04:39:13
Message: <496f0441$1@news.povray.org>
"triple_r" <nomail@nomail> schreef in bericht
news:web.496eb2185f052970ef2b9ba40@news.povray.org...
> Here's my first real effort in MC-POV.  Too dark, maybe?  I stopped it
> after
> three hours of rendering (two cores) so it wouldn't get too smooth.  HDR
> lighting seems to work very well with MC-POV.  Still needs hair, whiskers,
> eyelashes, and something else...  Not sure what that might be, but it
> lacks
> texture, or life, or something.

What it needs is (1) expression, (2) tiny bits of assymmetry, to make the
figure human.

(1) Expression can be achieved by moving the corners of the mouth, only one
or both; opening the lips a bit, maybe only on the left or the right;
playing with lifting/lowering one or both eye brows; turning the eyes a bit;
turning, bending, shifting the head a tiny bit; lifting one shoulder; etc,
etc... all in very tiny incremental steps. You will see how the figure will
change. Already here a lot of assymmetry is introduced. However:

(2) Very few people have real ssymmetrical faces and those are considered
(unconsciously) as *freakily* perfect, with some sense of unease. So, if you
are using Poser for instance, you can introduce assymmetry by moving the
nose a tiny bit left or right; lifting/loweing one cheekbone a tiny bit;
shifting the lower jaw left or right; etc, etc... By now, you see what I
mean. Just play with all those possibilities and you will be amazed by the
results. Especially those changes that are almost to small to be seen,
result in the highest impact.

Thomas