POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Sarah and Tariq Lorenzo Ibarra's SSS : Re: Sarah and Tariq Lorenzo Ibarra's SSS Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:17:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sarah and Tariq Lorenzo Ibarra's SSS
From: Dan Connelly
Date: 11 Jan 2009 11:14:06
Message: <496a1ace$1@news.povray.org>
Grassblade wrote:

> OMG, thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!
> I'm so glad I bugged Sarah Tariq, now. :-P

I'm really excited about this, myself.  Any idea when we might be able to try it
ourselves?

In reading the recent 3D World magazine, it struck me how big a gap has developed
between POV and the top-line tools.  It seems to me SSS takes a nice chunk out of that
gap in terms of realistic texturing.

Interesting Marc Levoy is an author of this early paper on the subject:
http://graphics.ucsd.edu/~henrik/papers/bssrdf/

I surveyed a class with him when I was a grad student at Stanford.  Graphics wasn't my
field, so I couldn't take the time to do the exercises in the class, unfortunately,
something I now regret.  Much more interesting than my research in semiconductor
devices :).