POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : CB Model Pro : Re: CB Model Pro Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:22:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CB Model Pro
From: Jim Charter
Date: 11 Jan 2009 10:03:59
Message: <496a0a5f$1@news.povray.org>
Christian Froeschlin wrote:

> It actually has a very nice user interface and was seriously
> fun to play with. Not sure if it has enough control for those
> people who actually *can* model, but a nice way to get
> organic shapes for someone like me.

Yes I think that is about right.  It offers the next 'level of
abstraction,' so to speak, such that the user does not worry about
underlying geometry but rather manipulates only the look of the figure.
I think an early tool that does something like this was Z-Brush. I have
not looked at Z-Brush in years and I assume, that, as a professional
tool, it would also let you access the actual geometry if you wanted to.
  You can get Wings3D to do some of these things, but again, you have to
jump through hoops, but again, you get more control.  (Imagine if the
'Poke' tool could be made any shape, not just a sphere.)

The tool is clearly aimed at children. For grown-ups this looks like a
great tool in the keep-it-simple vein. Your first effort has a charming
primitive art feel.

Notice that it cannot import externally produced geometry, btw.