POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : top 2000 music : Re: top 2000 music Server Time
30 Sep 2024 09:15:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: top 2000 music
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Jan 2009 17:04:18
Message: <496283e2$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> On 05-Jan-09 21:59, Darren New wrote:
>> andrel wrote:
>>> You could be right, but my guess is that even if pirated DVD's are
>>> not illegal in China (which I doubt)
>>
>> What makes you think they're pirated?
>
> because they were too cheap is the usual answer.

But the "real" DVDs are cheap in china too. Nobody has the money to pay a
week's salary for a USD$20 DVD in china.

> never claimed that, I think I said "you are guilty of something that I
> don't know the English word for"

True. I still don't know what that might be, tho. Patents cover importation
of counterfeit goods.  I don't think they cover copyrighted materials, and
copyright is about copying, not transporting.

>> The rule *here* is you can have *at least* one copy as a backup. At
>> least for software.
>
> interesting.

Of course the copyright holder can give you permission to make more than one
copy for your own use. The trick is that they're not allowed to make it
impossible for you to back up your software. (I'm pretty sure something like
DVDs are a different set of rules - it all boils down to a big pile of
special cases called "fair use".)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?