POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : top 2000 music : Re: top 2000 music Server Time
30 Sep 2024 09:17:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: top 2000 music
From: andrel
Date: 5 Jan 2009 16:10:02
Message: <4962778C.3040504@hotmail.com>
On 05-Jan-09 21:59, Darren New wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>> You could be right, but my guess is that even if pirated DVD's are not
>> illegal in China (which I doubt)
>
> What makes you think they're pirated?

because they were too cheap is the usual answer.

>> you still cannot import them into the US.
>
> That's a different thing than copyright violation, tho. :-)

never claimed that, I think I said "you are guilty of something that I
don't know the English word for"

>> importing pirated movies may be handled the same. IANAL though.
>
> Again, whoever tries to confiscate them or whatever would first have to
> prove that the manufacturer in China didn't have a license to copy them
> in the first place. (Of course, you could confiscate on suspicion, but
> that's just abuse of power.)

Customs here is trained in recognizing pirated material.

>>> Copyright law (in the USA at least) prevents you from copying things
>>> without permission.
>>
>> I think the main discussion is: can you legally own pirated copies?
>
> It wouldn't be copyright law that prevents it, is my point.
indeed ;)
> There are
> laws against theft of services, and against taking possession of stolen
> goods (with various penalties depending on whether you knew they were
> stolen), but AFAIK there's no law against owning a copy of something
> that the seller shouldn't have copied. I'd like to hear if there is.

I'd say that here you don't even need to have bought it for money.

>  > IIRC the rule here is that you can always have at most one copy of an IP
>> protected work that you do own as a backup.
>
> The rule *here* is you can have *at least* one copy as a backup. At
> least for software.

interesting.

> You can also make copies if it's fundamentally necessary for using the
> copyrighted product. E.g., the owner can't claim you violated copyright
> by loading the software into the computer's memory or the DVD player's
> memory.

true