POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Questions for the math geeks : Re: Questions for the math geeks Server Time
26 Apr 2024 12:18:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Questions for the math geeks
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 5 Jan 2009 13:17:09
Message: <49624ea5$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:

> The problem I need to solve is probably quite similar to those famous quality
> control jobs, where you produce (or buy) something and need to take samples, to
> make sure with a certain confidence that only a certain maximum percentage of
> the products fails to meet the specifications.

Actually the trend is to ensure 100% quality control
using automated inspection, but that's not what you
want to hear ;)

> (1) Given an allowed percentage of failure p (say, 10% may be faulty), and a
> desired test confidence q (say, I want to be 95% sure that those 10% are met),
> how many samples do I need to take (need a formula though, not just values for
> this case)?

I think such a statement usually says "we have to take x samples
*out of our total of N objects* to be 95% sure that ...". Do you
have some N? I suppose it might be something like the estimated
number of samples required by the final render pass.