POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : top 2000 music : Re: top 2000 music Server Time
30 Sep 2024 09:17:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: top 2000 music
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Jan 2009 12:23:14
Message: <49624202$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> On 05-Jan-09 1:09, Darren New wrote:
>> andrel wrote:
>>> That also illustrates the IP difficulties.
>>
>> For that matter, you asked how to listen without buying the CD. How do
>> you know the CD is authorized? :-) I have a few movies I bought on DVD
>> in China. Probably bootleg, of course, but *I* wasn't the one copying
>> them. Is that "bad"?
>>
> hmm, yes. You were aware that they were (probably) illegal, so you are
> guilty of something that I don't know the English word for.

What makes you sure they were illegal in China? And what makes you think
that *I* did anything illegal by buying them, even if they were?  As Warp
points out, different countries have different standards. If I buy something
off a shelf in a public store, I don't expect that buying it is illegal
where I buy it. When I go in a restaurant, I don't imagine they're serving
me food that I'll get arrested for eating. How am I to guess that the USA
movies with Chinese subtitles are or aren't authorized for sale in China?

Copyright law (in the USA at least) prevents you from copying things without
permission. Most everything else is pretty much fair game, as evidenced by
the lengths that people selling software go through to try to get you to
agree to more restrictions on your use of the software.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?