POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : top 2000 music : Re: top 2000 music Server Time
30 Sep 2024 11:16:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: top 2000 music
From: andrel
Date: 4 Jan 2009 18:18:33
Message: <4961442C.2010003@hotmail.com>
On 04-Jan-09 23:56, Warp wrote:
> andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> one combines celtic folk and oriental and traditional music
>
>   I have wondered why celtic-style music is so popular,

Main reason for me is that because they have a musical tradition of
songs there are more exceptional singers per 1000 inhabitants than in
e.g. the Netherlands. I happen to like good voices.

>  and why does it
> evoke such idyllic mental images of medieval Europe, with castles, villages,
> bards and exotic paganism. It also usually evokes images of the high fantasy
> genre, which usually uses as its universe something very similar to medieval
> Europe.
>
>   Did real celtic music of the period really sound anything like that?

I am not a true expert but I think that music of that period sounded
like contemporary celtic music. E.g. Blackmore's Night is a group that
tries to capture in some songs the feeling of medieval music though it
probably is still a bit of guessing. They get sometimes accused of
playing folk.

I would not be surprised if even the old finish music that was played in
pubs and on gatherings in the 18th century was more like celtic music
than Sibelius. So my guess is that the Scots and the Irish have more
been able to keep the tradition than mainland europe where the music
became more intellectual and a form of art than something to bond a
group of fiends.