POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : top 2000 music : Re: top 2000 music Server Time
30 Sep 2024 11:19:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: top 2000 music
From: andrel
Date: 4 Jan 2009 15:38:29
Message: <49611EA7.3090301@hotmail.com>
On 04-Jan-09 18:06, Darren New wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>> it is time for youtube to do the same. Until they do, we have to treat
>> anything there as illegal uploads.
>
> Actually, thinking on it, there are an awful lot of places that use
> youtube to serve their own content to the public, like
> http://www.rhfleet.org/site/imax/animalopolis.cfm does.

I know, if the website of my research center finally will be publicly
available, the videos will be hosted by youtube. That was not my idea.

> So it's really far from clear how much of the commercial content
> is actually illegal.

Indeed

> It wouldn't surprise me to learn many of the rock
> videos are actually uploaded by the artists to be linked from their own
> sites.

It might be, but then it appears that quite a lot of people were in very
famous bands and in a lot of them. ;)
Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QpRCK1IbiE is uploaded by the
artist herself whereas e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV3WkBZrcp0
comes from the same DVD but is almost certainly illegally uploaded by
someone else. (I feel totally relaxed viewing these as I have the DVD ;)
) How would anyone not knowing about quinlanroad know which one is the
legal one (unless there is a note in the video), especially if artists
do not use their own name but the name of the street they once lived in
as a tag? And does that matter?

> (That's an amusing video there, too.)

That also illustrates the IP difficulties. It consists of footage and a
soundtrack. The montage is clearly IP by this site, but did they have
permission to use the footage and the vocals? How do I know? Again, does
that matter?