POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Uh-oh! I think it's time... : Re: Uh-oh! I think it's time... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:23:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Uh-oh! I think it's time...
From: andrel
Date: 4 Jan 2009 06:57:51
Message: <4960A4A1.1030904@hotmail.com>
On 04-Jan-09 10:07, Stephen wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 15:20:51 -0200, Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailcom>
> wrote:
>
>> stbenge wrote:
>>> Hmm, I got this to work for pvengine.exe , but not the sse2 version.
>> Not surprising; it must be at a completely different offset.
>
> The search string must have been the same as I got the sse2 version to work.
> (after I saved the changes :) )

I assume (but haven't checked) that it is a binary representation of the
  date to compare with. Note that now we have beta binaries without
expiration floating on the internet and a recipe simple enough for a
script kiddie. I think Chris and the others would be grateful if you
destroy them after installing the new beta. If it happens again, perhaps
it would be advisable if you distribute the matching pattern by ordinary
email and not in one of the permanent newsgroups on the server?

This is exactly why I always tell sysops that you should never restrict
knowledgeable people when they want to do things that make their live
much more easy. Even if that might punch holes in the security if an
ordinary user does it. They'll do it anyway and if you don't have a good
relationship with them they might tell the other users how to do it too
and that is a much greater danger.