POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : top 2000 music : Re: top 2000 music Server Time
30 Sep 2024 09:15:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: top 2000 music
From: Florian Pesth
Date: 3 Jan 2009 17:38:15
Message: <495fe8d7$1@news.povray.org>
Am Sat, 03 Jan 2009 00:20:07 +0100 schrieb andrel:

> On 02-Jan-09 23:05, Florian Pesth wrote:
>> It was also long before my time and maybe I'm totally of, but I would
>> just put Queen in the category of commercially succesful glamrock.
>
> For me this song changed my opinion. I used to think more or less along
> your line, but with Bohemian Rhapsody that changed. It proved that they
> were prepared to do something rather complicated and still get an
> audience for it. It may have helped expand the musical taste of a few
> people.

Agree with that point.

> I do know them. I am somewhat of a Yes fan (and a lot of other progrock
> as well) and last.fm figured that I would probably also like Gentle
> Giant. I had at least one track marked as a loved track, but it seems to
> have dropped of the stack. I also though I had one album of them on my
> Amazon wish list. Also not true. As I said before 'My brain keeps
> surprising me'.

Which song / album? Maybe I can give some (subjective) recommodations, I
have some of their albums. Do you know some good italian progrock?

> BTW are you sure this video is in the public domain?

I'm sorry, you are right. Checking it, it is probably not, although it
was produced for the second german television ZDF, which is financed
publically, but of course that is no excuse.

>> I don't want to take the elitist opinion of the "stupid masses", but
>> there are some pearls, which didn't make it in the charts, but were
>> important nevertheless.
>
> There are two sides to this. On the one hand in this top2000 are a
> couple of Yes songs that have not made it into the charts or nor very
> far, like Roundabout and Close to the edge (played in full 18 minutes
> during this broadcast \o/ ). Nr 8 is Alan Parsons' Old and wise. Also
> 'Child in time' was for a long time nr 1 in the list and only 10 years
> ago or so replaced by Queen. in 2000-2002 it was still nr 2 and it has
> now dropped to 4. All without being a memorable hit. So the list does
> include 'some pearls, which didn't make it in the charts, but were
> important nevertheless'.
> On the other hand Mary Black, Loreena McKennitt, Ayreon and Eric Bogle,
> to name a few, are totally missing and Robbie Williams is at 24.

Oh well, not too bad than. I admit, that I also sometimes are guilty for
listening to simple mass compatible stuff (Shocking Blue anyone? :)).