POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity Status: Giving Up... : Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:30:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up...
From: Warp
Date: 3 Jan 2009 08:26:33
Message: <495f6789@news.povray.org>
clipka <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> > > How long do I have to repeat myself: They're gonna do it some day.
> >
> >   Can you give me a reference to, for example, an online linux community
> > where they are discussing this?
> >
> >   Or are you, too, making a claim with absolutely no proof?

> The proof is in my argument: The x87 will not live eternally, one way or the
> other.

  In other words, you made a claim with no proof.

  Well, my claim is that eg. linux will never drop support for the FPU when
compiled for a platform with a FPU. Please prove me wrong.

  Linux will never drop the support because that would blatantly go
against the very principles of Linux: To be a highly portable OS which
can be run on very various platforms. Some part of the Linux community
even has some kind of unofficial "competition" with NetBSD to see who
supports more platforms.

> >   (In fact, with linux it even *might* be plausible because 99.9% of the
> > software for it is open source and it's more or less trivial for every
> > distro to just recompile *everything* for the new system. With Windows,
> > which is plagued with old, closed source software, I don't think so.)

> Even Windows software occasionally sees new versions of itself - or at least so
> I heard tell.

  I don't think you understood what I wrote above.

> > (Well, DOS is *not* an operating system at all.)

> Then what do you think it's named for? "Disk Ohjesushelpme System"?

  I knew you would argue that, because that's what everyone argues.

  If I make a program which prints "hello world" and name the program
HWOS, standing for "hello world operating system", does that make my
program an operating system?

  Please answer "yes" or "no".

> Your definition of an operating system may be somewhat biased by the times of
> scheduled multitasking and multicore systems.

  It's not *my* definition.

> Now, 'nuff said. If you are not willing to get my points, then forget about it.

  I will be willing to get your points when you show me some actual concrete
*proof*. For example, I would be *really* interested in seeing some proof
about the linux community planning to completely drop support for programs
using the FPU.

  Some obscure statement in some AMD technical manual with a passing note
on OS FPU support is not proof of anything.

--
                                                          - Warp