POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity Status: Giving Up... : Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:32:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up...
From: Warp
Date: 2 Jan 2009 05:59:37
Message: <495df399@news.povray.org>
clipka <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> >   I still see no rational reason to deliberately and on purpose break
> > 99% of programs. What would be the point? Task switching takes a negligible
> > amount of time, so skipping storing and loading the FPU registers would be
> > a rather useless micro-optimization.

> What would the purpose be of not including ISA, EISA, VESA or at least AGP slots
> on mainboards anymore?

  You missed the point: What sense does it make to drop support for the FPU
in the OS when the hardware has perfectly good FPU support?

  The issue was not whether future processors will drop support for FPU
opcodes. The issue was whether future (PC) operating systems will do so
(by simply not taking the FPU into account in task switching, which seems
rather stupid to me).

> If your software doesn't live & breathe from fast trigonometrics, fingers off
> the x87 FPU.

  You can't go and change millions of existing programs to not to use the FPU.

--
                                                          - Warp