POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : One Word : Re: One Word Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:25:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: One Word
From: Alain
Date: 1 Jan 2009 21:26:28
Message: <495d7b54$1@news.povray.org>
Larry Hudson nous illumina en ce 2008-12-31 21:44 -->
> Eero Ahonen wrote:
>> Larry Hudson wrote:
>>
>>> I was born in '37 so I'm also a grumbling old man (more of a curmudgeon
>>> actually).   ;-)   So my childhood was also pre-plastics.  My equivalent
>>> nostalgia is for (all metal) Erector Sets.
>>

>> I have a strange feeling that that name would be considered somewhat
>> weird and/or unsuitable for children's set.
>>
> LOL
>
> Nevertheless, "Erector Sets" as they were called, were very well known
> and popular toy construction sets at that time (late 40's, early 50's or
> so).  I had great fun with mine -- a mid-range set.  Always dreamed of
> having their biggest set, but could never afford it -- or rather, my
> parents couldn't.  ;-)  Of course, earlier than this were the all-wood
> Tinker Toys, also very well-known and popular at the time.
>
> Tinker Toys consisted of a bunch of wooden wheels and rods (dowels) of
> various lengths.  I don't remember any other shapes, but there might
> have been.  The wheels had a hole in their center and eight more around
> the rim where the rods could be inserted to connect them.  The ends of
> the rods had a slight taper and a narrow slit.  This slit gave tnem a
> slight springiness, and could also take other things like strings as
> additional ways of connecting them.
>
> Going by my very imperfect memory, they looked somewhat like the
> attached picture.
>
> Tinkey Toys were more for toddlers and Erector Sets more for "budding
> engineers"  ;-)  Of course, sadly, these days something like an original
> Erector Set could never make it to market -- too dangerous.  Lots of
> nuts and bolts and stuff that could be swallowed, and the pieces were
> thin sheet metal which could cut or poke an eye.  I really pity the
> current younger generation for being so coddled and overprotected.  "In
> my day", sure we got hurt, but that was just a normal part of growing
> up.  And we learned a lot on the way.
>
>      -=- Larry -=-

Let see those that I played with...

Lego (still have)
Meccano (still have)
Milibricks (somewhat rubbery red, and only red, bricks)
Northern Log (100% wood)
Thinker Toy (still have some pieces...)
One with some very large blocks made out of granular styro foam. Don't remember
the name. Prety fragil.
A building set, with a pump, pipes and several transparent thanks. Not sure of
the name. The pieces looked like red steel columns and beams, there where
translucent, printed "plates" looking like industrial walls.

--
Alain
Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every