POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity Status: Giving Up... : Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:17:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up...
From: Darren New
Date: 1 Jan 2009 13:25:53
Message: <495d0ab1$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Being a JavaScript interpreter, it doesn't have too much choice than to
> support FP, does it?-)

If the FP code failed silently, and most javascript didn't use FP, then most
javascript wouldn't fail. :-)

Exactly the same as if your CPU didn't support FP, but your text editor
didn't use FP, your text editor wouldn't fail.

But yes, you're right, you certainly want your javascript interpreter to
support FP, because it wouldn't be correct if it didn't. It would just
accidentally fail to encounter the bug in some cases.

>   (Speaking of it, I noticed from Thunderbird's source code, that rather
> enormous amounts of it are actually implemented in JavaScript. I suppose
> its flexibility makes it a great tool for such an application.)

My experience is that once one has an embedded interpreter in a program, one
tends to move more and more of the program into that embedded interpreter.
That's one of the beauties of languages like LISP and FORTH, where the
entire environment is one big embedded interpreter.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)