POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity Status: Giving Up... : Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:22:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up...
From: Warp
Date: 1 Jan 2009 05:57:54
Message: <495ca1b2@news.povray.org>
> Yes, but what use are instructions you won't be able to use in the future
> and your are already recommended not to use now?

  As long as the hardware supports x87, I see absolutely no rational reason
why an OS would drop support for 99% of programs just because it doesn't
want the FPU to be used.

  The OS would, in fact, have to go to great lengths in order to detect
that a program is using the FPU and deliberately stop it (rather than
allow it to simply malfunction, which would be stupid).

  "Sorry, your program uses the FPU, and while this computer does have
an FPU, and it could run your program just perfectly, I'm not going to
allow it. Tough luck."

--
                                                          - Warp