POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity Status: Giving Up... : Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:32:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up...
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 1 Jan 2009 03:17:39
Message: <495c7c23$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Btw, another advantage of using the FPU rather than calculating in
> software is that you could, at least in theory, have the FPU calculating
> your operation while the CPU does other (non-FPU) operations at the same
> time. I don't know if any compiler is able to opimize like this, though.

For two decades now the CPU and FPU have been the same thing on x86. It is
not like they are two different processors. They are *one* processor. The
terminology is just a leftover from times when the logic we nowadays call
FPU did not fit on the same die as the integer unit called CPU back then.

	Thorsten