POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity Status: Giving Up... : Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:28:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up...
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 1 Jan 2009 03:13:10
Message: <495c7b16@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Thorsten Froehlich <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:
>> I have no intention to continue such an argument on semantics, this leads
>> nowhere and does not change the fact that x87 FPU usage is deprecated.
>
> .... which in turn does not change the fact either that modern CPUs (still) have
> a dedicated command to compute a square root (and not only that, but also for
> trigononetrics and the like), which was a question previously raised, and
> answered by me by referring to the x87 FPU instruction set, while at the same
> time maintaining that they're not a "naive" hardware implementation.

Yes, but what use are instructions you won't be able to use in the future
and your are already recommended not to use now?

> I still have doubts whether using SSE2 roots/trigonometrics etc. is really
> faster than using the FPU, or whether the compiler really does not use them -

Well, doubts don't change code efficiency ;-)

> at least on 32-bit systems. Note that the deprecation statement relates to
> AMD64, not x86 in general as far as I can see.

It relates to Windows, Mac OS X and Linux running in 64-bit mode. The
depreciation is a joint undertaking by major OS vendors, Intel and AMD.

	Thorsten