POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity Status: Giving Up... : Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:20:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up...
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 31 Dec 2008 19:24:13
Message: <495c0d2d$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> So? What's the news I have missed you expect me to find in "the current Intel
> information what SSE2 is actually supposed to be used for" (whatever document
> that is supposed to be)?

The only current information is in the compiler manuals that mention the ABI
changes in 64-bit mode. The other relevant information is unfortunately a
mess of documents from compiler and OS vendors, AMD, and the "Intel 64"
developer web page.

> The same document also mentions that SSE2 supports basically the same arithmetic

The document you are referring to specifies the whole instruction set
available in all Intel x86 processors. If you look at it closely, you will
even find sections about 286 compatibility and 16 bit mode. - Just because
all instructions are in that document does not mean you should use them all...

> Duh. Any mention of such things as sin, cos, log or such? I don't see any.
>
> So: Back to good old x87 FPU instructions for these.

No, you do them in software with SSE2, that is much faster. Or actually, you
don't care because the compiler does the right thing anyway.

	Thorsten