POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity Status: Giving Up... : Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:24:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up...
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 31 Dec 2008 13:12:45
Message: <495bb61d$1@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> You are looking at the wrong manual. This manual does not tell you how
> to do something but what is available.  I admit the Intel documentation
> is not clear, but x87 usage is deprecated. This is documented for x86-64
> mode in OS vendor information because the x86-64 ABIs even use the SSE
> registers for argument passing (no more x87 FPU stack or memory mapped
> argument passing). But googling for that information is difficult. One
> of the top-most useful links I found was
> <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb147385.aspx#ID0EBEAA> - you
> will have to look up the remaining information yourself. I guess AMD
> might have more info, as they came up with x86-64.....

I guess it would help if M$ would not call x86-64 "AMD64" in older documents...
<http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/b/5/5b5bec17-ea71-4653-9539-204a672f11cf/AMD64_PortApp.doc>
<http://developer.amd.com/pages/62720069_4.aspx>

Some ABI changes exist on Linux and Mac OS X. Thus, it is SSE all the way
everywhere.

	Thorsten