POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : More byproducts of the radiosity discussions... : Re: More byproducts of the radiosity discussions... Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:14:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More byproducts of the radiosity discussions...
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 31 Dec 2008 10:17:46
Message: <495b8d1a$1@news.povray.org>

> If you're talking about that light leaking though walls and the like, that's
> actually the high error_bound samples, not the low ones.

   Yes, I'm talking about these... but my experience says they appear at low
error_bound values... ?!?!?

>>    Now, if someone is interested, I had the strange idea that a
>> fade_distance  for reflections will help making blurred reflections with
>> averaged normals... but I'm unable to test on my head if it will work.
>
> Now it's me who understands just half of what you're saying :)

   Sorry, I was too short on the explanation... what I mean is that when you
look at blurred reflections in RL, the reflection seems to disappear at some
distance from the reflected object. I know the reflection is there, but very
blurred... but in practice it looks like this is just the underlying
material color.

   Now, if you had a fade_distance keyword on the reflection{} statement,
which attenuates the reflection until it reaches 0 for objects beyond the
specified distance, perhaps this would help getting less noisy materials
with the existing blurring techniques (averaged layers with big normals,
micronormals,...).

   But as I said, my ideas turn to be nonsense often... and also it seems
too simple to not have been figured out before.

--
Jaime